situated on a narrow peninsula at Turkey’s
northernmost point, Sinop is like a Black Sea
island with its good-natured people and streets
where time passes slowly.
Development of the Pontic Greek Dialect
Will Pontic Greek continue to be spoken? Bortone
(2009) believes Pontic Greek spoken in the
Pontos in Asia Minor today will probably
disappear. The challenge is to keep the Pontic
Greek dialect alive. The more recent work of
researchers like Emeritus Professor Peter
Mackridge, Assistant Professor Pietro Bortone,
Dr Theofanis Malkidis, Ömer Asan, Dr Anthi
Revithiadou and Dr Vassilios Spyropoulos have
increased our knowledge of the dialect.
Time For to Discover the Black Sea Highlands
Discover the Black Sea
highlands in September when time is suddenly
rent by a blanket of fog or the cry of a
vulture, and make the acquaintance of nature in
its most beautiful aspect.
Formation of the First Greek Settlements in the
According to Liddell and Scott’s An Intermediate
Greek-English Lexicon, the word Pontos stands
for the sea, especially the open sea. In time,
the word Pontos became associated with the
north-eastern portion of Asia Minor that borders
the Black Sea (see Map 1).1 The Greeks first
called the Black Sea, Aξεινος πóντος
(inhospitable, unfriendly pontos), but later it
was called Εϋξεινος πóντος (hospitable pontos)
when they became aware of its wealth in the
lands around it ...
Crypto-Christians of the Trabzon Region
The crypto-Christians (also called cryphi,
klosti, Stavriotes, Kromledes) were Christian
Greeks who due to the Muslim persecution against
Christians publicly declared themselves Muslims.
However, in secret, they upheld their Greek
language, customs and Christian religious
Do you like Karalahana?
Please share us!
Folklore and Ethnographic materials
Old Postcards of Pontos
Classic Cars wallpapers
Join and upload your photos if you want
Karalahana Photo Gallery
KUSTUL (ST. GEORGE) MONASTERY
The monastery situated ivithin the
boundaries of Simsirli-Kustul v village in Macka,
Esiroglu in the city of Trabzon, is built on a
hill I mewing the valley. Built in the year 752
and looted in 1203, the 1 monastery regained its
service in the year 1393.
It ivas burned in
fire in 1904, and rebuilt for the third time. It
is ! known that the small church to the north of
the inn inside the monastery has no traces today.
Inside the monastery, on the right and left side
of the inner courtyard are two-three storey
monastery rooms. The ones on the north are known
as guest rooms and those on the south, as monk
cells. Through the photos taken in 1903 by Cumont,
it is seen that the monastery besides being a
large church, is also made of another church with
a cross plan and a monastery.
The stairs from
the west side go into the inside of the monastery.
Its wide halls and guest rooms catches one’s
attention. In time, the cross planned church ivas
damaged and vanished without a trace. Though it is
found to have corridors stretching to the valley,
they cannot be used today
VAZELON (st. john) MONASTERY
Though not having a certain date of
foundation, Vazelon Monastery, which is located in
Kiremitli residence, 14 kms. to Magka, is thought
to have been built between 270-317s. The monasteiy
was restored byJustinianus in 565. In 644-702 the
monasteiy underwent a good many repairs and
restorations. The parts which still stand today
dated to 14th and 19th centuries. The monastery
which continued its missions till the 20th century
was abrogated in 1923. Various sources indicate
that the monastery was devoted to prophet fashua.
The ground floor entrance, the windows and the
doors of the monasteiy which have an entrance in
the west are closed. As one climbs the stairs s/he
can see three rooms in each narroiv corridor.
There is a huge dining hall, kitchen and a large
refectory. Next to these are three Byzantine
basilicas and a vaulted cistern. In the northern
exterior wall, the frescoes depicting the heaven,
the hell and the final judgment are seen.
the ground floor of the monastery are stairs
paving the way for a small hall. There are six
rooms located in two sides of corridors.